The 40 man roster for each team in Major League Baseball had to be turned in yesterday, and it was pretty important because several players that had five years in the Minors and were not placed on the 40 man roster could be claimed next month in the Rule 5 Draft.
That led to several trades Monday, as teams didn't want to end up empty handed.
Here are all the trades from yesterday:
- Braves acquire RP Josh Ravin from Dodgers for cash considerations
- Yankees acquire SP Michael King, international signing bonus pool money from Marlins for 1B Garrett Cooper, RP Caleb Smith
* This move has some implications in the Shohei Ohtani negotiations, as now the Yankees will have more money to offer the Japanese star.
- Astros acquire SP Brandon Bailey from Athletics for OF Ramon Laureano
- Blue Jays acquire 2B Gift Ngoepe from Pirates for PTBNL or cash
- Rangers acquire RP Ronald Herrera from Yankees for P Reiver Sanmartin
Great players have come out of the Rule 5 Draft, like Johan Santana and Odubel Herrera, it will take place in December.
Some other players were claimed through waivers yesterdar:
- Braves claim RP Grant Dayton off waivers from Dodgers
- Phillies claim IF Engelb Vielma off waivers from Giants
And finally the Tigers signed a minor league starting pitcher:
- Tigers sign SP Ryan Carpenter to minor-league deal